This weeks Author Profile is Mr. Martin Small,Author of
Martin Small is a man that’s lived with Dyslexia all his life and now wants to work with dyslexic kids. ck out his kickstarter page and see for yourself his determination to help these children.
In our modern world of smartphones and iPads, I think it’s really important to keep face-to-face storytelling alive. Reading a story together is such a special moment that makes the bond between parent and child stronger as they let their imaginations soar.
Mr. Martin Small wants to make more children smile with Mr. Love and Mrs. You – that’s why he’s launched a Kickstarter campaign where you can pre-order the book until 17 October. Please visit the page and watch the video to learn more about the book and Mr. Love and Mrs. You! But before you do anything else we have our “Twenty Questions” for the man…
1. Where or how did you come up with the idea for this book and series?
I came up with the idea for this book by making silly poems for my little boy and making him smile. Then I tried to think of how to write something that had the message “love you” at the end. So that I could say it to my little boy but with my personality through out the book. And hat was when Mr loves and Mrs you was born.
2. When you sit down to write do you have an idea where you are going or does it just happen as you’re sitting there? Or is it actually the Characters writing the story?
Wow this is a great question! So for me it happens all the time and anywhere. It could be writing in a work lab, or at a School or even when I’m driving. I was stuck for sometime at one stage until I got to school and they had a big picture of a love heart sweat on a board. And I thought to myself that looks a bit like a moon and that’s where I actually got the idea for the love heart moon.
3. What was your favorite chapter (or part) to write and why?
For me this is easy, the reason I wrote the book was to say love you. So that’s my favorite page. But the most fun for writing has to be “theses birds don’t tweet like most other birds, they gargle songs with lemon curd,
To music you may already know,
Trying to finish before they blow”
4. Is anything in your book based on real life experiences or purely all imagination?
It was all my crazy imagination
5. What is your favorite quote from a book of fiction?
ahhh this hard, but I’m going to have to say anything out of the book Aliens love underpants. I love that book app much
6. On that vein who would be your favorite Author? What writers influenced you?
Well I have a few but…..if i was pushed into making a decision it would have to be Roald Dahl
7 Do you have a favorite fictional character?
8. What five words describe you?
Crazy, fun, loving, sincere, honest
9. What if any project are you working on now?(go ahead promote away!)
I have finished writing my second book, and I think it’s very funny it is called The Hairy Scary Naughty Stink Fairies. Oh my, I had a lot of fun writing it, and the idea came from children losing their stuff all the time after one of my Judo sessions.
10. What has been the toughest criticism given to you as an author?
I’m my worst critic, I really struggled at school and unfortunately I still feel the way I did when i was back at school. Lost in my own head.
11. What has been the best compliment?
The best compliment is and always will be the reaction of children as I read to them at school’s. Big wide smiles from ear to ear and the sound of a child giggling.
12. Have you written a book you love that you have not been able to get published?
So for me the publishing world is very hard, I can write silly poems and funny things. But ask me to be serious and to write a professional cover letter, well I just can’t do it. So self publishing is the preferred method for me.
13. Do you hear from your readers much? What kinds of things do they say?
“Wow you were amazing today! Such a fantastic story teller and budding author. The children really enjoyed your book and you. Wishing you lots of success for the future, good luck” that testimonial came from the head of lower school at brockhurst private school.
“I would like to thank you Martin, as I believe you have been into Cheam school today and read your story. And I know this because it’s the first time Bella has actually told me what she had done at school. I think you have your first book sale here”
14. What do you think makes a good story?
A good story for me has to have an element of fun, and interactions between the child and parent. You want your child to ask questions and let their imagination run wild
15. I think I know your answer but , what’s more important to you Characters or plot?
Without the main characters there is no plot so defiantly characters
16. What do you like to do when you’re not writing?
When I’m not writing I’m enjoying being with my family and having days out. I’m also very lucky to be able to teach Judo to children for a job which I have done in schools since 1998
17. How about a snippet from your book that will hook a prospective reader and make them want to read your book.
Mr Love and Mrs You live on a pink fluffy planet,
Made from boiled sweets and rock hard granite.
With the love heart moon shining in the night sky,
Its time to sleep and to say “good bye”
18. What are the most important elements of good writing? According to you, what tools are must-haves for writers?
For me it’s all about pace, does the book have a natural rhythm. A tool I couldn’t live without is text/email/write with speech to text other wise I wouldn’t be able to speak anything
19. How did you get into writing? Is this what you always wanted to do?
When I was a kid I would right songs but then I got to secondary school and I could get my head around reading music so I just stopped. Until I had my boy and he change everything for me. I want him to know that if he has a dream be careful who you share it with and always believe in yourself. Because no only means New Opportunity
20. Any last thoughts for our readers?
I’m prof that anyone can do what they were told they can not do. If I can make one child smile and that smile makes another person smile then I’m happy. I have been so humbled by the support on Kickstarter it’s day 4 and we have over £731 and 26 backers. But Mr Love and Mrs You still need your support. Ease join us on this incredible journey thank you
Kickstarter page: http://kck.st/2cSkR71